Our Forward Food Pledge
Dana Hospitality has taken the Food Forward pledge to continue the menu transformation to meet the growing demand of our guests! In 2021, seven of our food service operations will transition 20% of their animal-based protein meals into a variety of delicious and satisfying plant powered meals.
We are proud to be working with Humane Society International/Canada’s Food Forward team to add more plant-based options to our menus. This new partnership will support the goal of putting more plants at the centre of the plate while supporting sustainability, guest health and animal welfare initiatives.
The program provides educational tools, recipe and menu support, measurement support and workshops for chef managers to improve their knowledge and successfully transition their site-specific menus.
This program is a natural fit for Dana Hospitality & Marek Hospitality cafés since each of our Chefs are empowered to listen to their guests and to create unique menus in every location by cooking fresh meals from scratch, every day.
There are several key reasons why Dana adopted the pledge.
- We want to support our guests as they define and personalize what ‘healthy’ means to each of them. Offering sustainable, on trend menus with deliciously prepared plants.
- 43% of Canadians are actively trying to incorporate more plant-based foods into their eating pattern. This is reflected in our food services as more of our guests are looking for plant-based meals and many “flexitarian” guests are simply just curious to try new dishes prepared by our chefs.
- More than 50% of Canadians want to reduce their meat intake. People under 35 are 3x more likely to identify as vegetarian or vegan.
- Canada’s Food Guide encourages Canadians to include more plants in our eating pattern to reduce our risk of chronic diseases.
- Plant based foods are more sustainable when they are grown and produced with reduced use of water, land and fossil fuels and lower in greenhouse gas emissions.
In 2021, Dana Cafés are taking the next step in encouraging all guests to:
- Try familiar menu items with a food forward twist and enjoy the variety of plant-based foods available every day in their café.
- Take the pledge with us by sampling new plant-based proteins options. We encourage our guests to ask the culinary teams to swap some or all of the chicken or meat in ‘meat’ sauce, meatballs or burger patty with mushrooms or plant proteins.
- Be curious and give globally inspired dishes a try. Let our Culinary Adventure promotion take you on a journey of the world’s cuisines that showcase several classic vegetarian dishes to delight your taste buds with a world of new flavours and textures.
- Follow Canada’s Food Guide. Focus on vegetables, fruit, whole grains and plant-based proteins like beans, peas, lentils, nuts and seeds. Add if desired, add small amounts of quality Canadian animal-based ingredients.
- Share your comments and feedback on these dishes directly with your onsite Chef and by social media. We love photos and feedback.
To learn more about the program from Humane Society International/Canada, please visit http://friendsofhsi.ca/issues/forward-food/
Dana Hospitality’s brand belief is to “Transform the Food Service Experience Every Day” and their culinary teams specialize in preparing meals from scratch for private schools, universities and colleges, retail healthcare, recreation venues and corporations of all size, all across Canada. www.Danahospitality.ca